Flash Advisor logo
:: Desktop Shortcut
:: Flash Help
Advice from Experts

Closed Thread

Default Creating a link to open up a .pdf file

I want to create a button that will open an acrobat pdf file when the user clicks on it. It will be in a .swf file on a CD. Is there a way to create a link that will open it externally? I have seen some coding examples for macintosh, but nothing for pc.

2. # ADS

Hi,

Look into the fscommand. It can open extensions in existing applications on the users computer. However, if the user does not have the associated program installed, it will pop up the dreaded "Open with" box. One other method you could do is to create a subfolder called fscommand, which is based on location of your flash executable, and then put there your acrobat.exe ... And then you would call it like:

fscommand("exec","acrobat.exe") ;

Here is a good resource link that might provide useful. It has lots of backend and offline topics........

http://www.flashkit.com/board/showth...ght=protection

Default Creating a button link to open a .pdf directly

This works! Just make sure to include the .pdf file in the same folder as the .swf file. (much easier than trying to create a .bat file).

on (press, release) {
    getURL("myfile.pdf", "_blank");
    }

Hi,

That will only work if acrobat reader is installed on the machine. Any associated plug in will open files with a defined extension. If for example, your making this for a cd and the personviewing it does not have acrobat installed, it will pop up the "Open with" dialog box.

Question link to pdf file opens pdf in acrobat and an additional blank browser screen

Hi,

I have created a swf CD menu with basic button links (AS2) to open other swf files and a pdf file.

The swf files open fine in the same menu swf. I have created a link back to the menu swf.

The problem I am having is that the below code is opening the pdf file in acrobat and opening a blank browser window.

Any ideas how to get rid of the blank browser window or to make it open in the browser only?

Another quickie, am I wrongly presuming that the end user will have a flash player and in that case should I produce projector files (and convert all the swf's).

Sorry for going on, I've searched everywhere and can't find the solution.

thanks

Catherine

two ways I suggested
    1. By actionscript, copy the following code in Flash: on(release){getURL("mypdf.pdf", "_blank");}
    2. You can simply convert PDF to Flash by this free online converter http://www.axmag.com/submit.html

Default Shawn2

Look into the fscommand. It can open extensions in existing applications on the users computer. However, if the user does not have the associated program installed, it will pop up the dreaded "Open with" box. One other method you could do is to create a subfolder called fscommand, which is based on location of your flash executable, and then put there your acrobat.exe ... And then you would call it like:

Wordpress Newsletter Plugin

I had understand ur prblm... soon i'll revert back 2 u.....

Thanks
    Bhumika

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaLepage View Post
    two ways I suggested
    1. By actionscript, copy the following code in Flash: on(release){getURL("mypdf.pdf", "_blank");}
    2. You can simply convert PDF to Flash by this free online converter http://www.axmag.com/submit.html
    I am also agree with it....

Things went complicated when you try to burn file in CD and re-open it.

Try convert PDF to SWF? and build a swf shortcut?

Thread Information